Weight Lost!!!

13 pounds down

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 147: Home from Haiti

I do plan on debriefing a bit and then sharing more about Haiti in the next few days.  I got home last night/this morning at around 2am.  I haven't had much time to process everything yet.  It was great to see Gary last night, he waited up for me.  The kids greeted me with smiles and hugs!  I loved that.

I had an unbelievable time.  It was hard work, heartache, bonding, laughing (if you can believe it), lots of smiles shared.  I love Haiti.  I will have a hard time not being consumed by Haiti over the next few weeks.  It is still SOOOOOOO devastated.  If I didn't know better I would think that the earthquake happened this week.  There is so much to do, where do you begin?  It doesn't need to be made "American", it just needs to be put back together.  With that comes many hours of volunteers.  The site we were at was at Christianville.  They service a large area about 1.5 hours from Port au Prince.  They have a medical, dental and eye clinic as well as schools for the locals.  The medical and eye clinic were destroyed in the earthquake.  So the project we were working on was that site.  We certainly worked hard.  One of the major projects we did was dig a large trench to run electrical/power underground the trench was 2.5 feet deep and about 60 yards long.  It felt so good.  I loved digging that trench, my favorite part was breaking apart the earth with a pick ax!  I am sure I worked on some muscle groups I didn't even know existed.

I also got to see much of the area.  It was touching and amazing.  More of that to follow.
Thanks for following!

Weight 190.
Total weight lost to date 22 lbs.

3 comments:

Cheryl S. said...

This post brought tears to my eyes...looking forward to getting together soon! I really want you to come over with the kids and swim, lets get it on the calendar!

Me and Jorge - Amber said...

What group did you go with? Id love to hear more about your trip!

Unknown said...

Cheryl - It is an emotional thing. How about this week for a swim date?
Amber- I went with our church group. We are going to have a discussion at our church on July 14th. I'll post more info when I have it. All are welcome to come, see photos and listen to our stories